Join us every week to read about what’s new at the Disneyland Resort in California! This week’s Disneyland News features updates on a sneak preview of “Maleficent,” Disneyland Resort restaurant news and more fun at the Springtime Roundup!
What’s New This Week?
Disneyland Resort in California
New! “Maleficent” Sneak Peek Coming to Disney California Adventure Park April 18, 2014: The thrilling final trailer for “Maleficent” was released a few weeks ago, and starting April 18, 2014 a special extended (twelve-minute) sneak peek will be playing daily at Bug’s Life Theater at Disney California Adventure Park through mid-June.
New! Eggs-traordinary Art at the Springtime Roundup: Per the Disney Parks Blog: “There are dozens of reasons to visit the Springtime Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Disneyland park, but seeing egg artisan Ray Brown in action is definitely a fan favorite. Ray is part of an elite team who create ‘eggs’-tra special works of art each day by designing, painting and sculpting the oval shapes into one-of-a-kind Disney characters. Recently Ray shared some of his top tips for creating the perfect egg with us…”
New! Plaza Inn Refurbishing and Alternate Character Dining Experiences: The Plaza Inn at Disneyland Park will be closed for refurbishment from April 21 – May 15. “Breakfast with Minnie” will not be available during this time. Character dining experiences will still be available at “Surf’s Up Breakfast with Mickey” at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, “Chip ‘n Dale’s Critter Breakfast” at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel® & Spa, Goofy’s Kitchen at Disneyland Hotel and “Ariel’s Disney Princess Celebration” in Disney California Adventure Park.
New! Disneyland Resort Wins Multiple Southern California Restaurant Writers Awards: For almost 40 years, Southern California Restaurant Writers Inc. hast kept a finger on the pulse of the region’s best dining. This year, the group awarded Disneyland Resort with a dozen awards across eight restaurants. Congratulations to all the winners! Here are the awards:
Golden Bacchus Wine Award (the highest wine award):
- Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge (Disney California Adventure park)
- Napa Rose (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa)
- Steakhouse 55 (Disneyland Hotel)
5 Stars (the highest award):
- Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge
- Napa Rose
- Steakhouse 55
- Ariel’s Grotto (Disney California Adventure park)
- Blue Bayou Restaurant (Disneyland park)
- Café Orleans (Disneyland park)
- Storytellers Cafe (Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa)
- Goofy’s Kitchen (Disneyland Hotel)
Manager of the Year:
- Jose Barragan – Barragan has been with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts for 17 years and manages Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge at Disney California Adventure park.
Reminder: Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam’s Menu Enhanced: On Tuesday, April 8, Tangaroa Terrace and Trader’s Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel debuted an enhanced menu featuring exciting new menu offerings.
Tangaroa Terrace has added the following: Mickey Shaped Waffles Dusted with Powdered Sugar, served with Island Fruit and your choice of Bacon or Portuguese Sausage; Shrimp Tacos with Sautéed Shrimp, Cabbage and Lime Tartar Sauce, wrapped in Corn Tortillas, served with Tropical Slaw; Loco Moco – A juicy Hamburger Patty served over Rice, topped with Brown Gravy and a Fried Egg, served with a side of Island Fruit; and Slow Roasted Kalua-style Pork Sandwich with Barbecue Sauce and Tropical Slaw on a Hawaiian Roll.
Trader Sams has added two new beverages: Passionate Python – This breathtaking potion has a squeeze of citrus juices, wrapped in passion fruit and rum that will really get a hold on you! It’s Dark and Aged Rums, Red Passion Fruit, and Tropical Juices garnished with an Orange Peel “Python” and Murky Mojito – Refreshing as a scoop of deepest river water… Sam stirs up rums, lime juice, mint and Angostura bitters that’ll float your boat. It’s rum, fresh Lime Juice, Mint, and Organic Agave Nectar topped with Angostura Bitters.
Reminder! 2014 Egg-stravaganza at the Disneyland Resort: From April 10 – 20, you’ll be able to search for special hidden “eggs” themed to Disney characters in Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure. Have fun exploring the parks hunting for ‘eggs’ that portray Disney characters! Record your discoveries by placing the corresponding sticker on the specially themed Egg-stravaganza map to represent that location. Maps and stickers can be purchased for $4.95, plus tax at the following parks and locations:
- Disney California Adventure park – Elias & Co., Oswald’s, Radiator Springs Curios, Rushin’ River Outfitters, Studio Store and Treasures in Paradise.
- Disneyland park – Disney Showcase, Fairy Tale Treasures, Gag Factory, Pieces of Eight and Pooh Corner
Whether you choose to hunt for eggs or not, return your map to the redemption location at Elias & Co. at Disney California Adventure park or Disney Showcase in Disneyland park, and participate in an ‘egg-scramble’ to pick up your surprise! Spoiler alert! The surprise you receive at the redemption location are eggs similar to those you are searching for, but approximately 2 inches tall. It will be a blind choice. Basically think of it like a ‘find the peanut’ game. An egg will be placed under each larger ‘egg’ and they will be scrambled up. When you select the larger egg of your choice, you will find out which ‘surprise egg’ is underneath.
Reminder! Springtime Roundup Continues: Starting March 28, Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Frontierland was decked out springtime décor. Some of your favorite Disney characters are stopping by to meet you, along with Mr. Easter Bunny! Other rare hare sightings include Br’er Rabbit, White Rabbit, Thumper and more. Also, an energetic country band takes the stage for several daily performances. This group of dancing cowboys and cowgirls come together for an exciting hoedown including a “bunny hop” that will get you joining right in! Springtime Roundup is also going to bring egg art demonstrations, fun crafts, yummy treats and more. It kicked off March 28 at Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree and keeps going until April 20!
Reminder! New Snacks for Springtime at the Jamboree: As part of the Springtime at the Jamboree celebration at Disneyland Resort (March 28 – April 20), Disneyland will be offering bunny cookie decorating kits, Apple Pie Burritos and a variety of other tasty offerings.
New! Merchandise Events
- April 18 – 20: Hop in and meet Precious Moments doll maker Linda Rick who will be appearing throughout the weekend from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. at World of Disney Store in the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort to celebrate the release of her Spring collection. In case you miss her the first weekend, Linda will return April 25 – 27 too.
- Artist in Residence: Appearing at WonderGround Gallery in the Downtown Disney District throughout the month of April is artist Matt Spangler. Look for special artist showcases on the following dates: April 4, 18, 19, 20 and 25, 26, 27 from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Reminder! Tickets for the Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas in Disneyland Trading Event taking place June 13 – 14, 2014, are available now.
Closures and Refurbishments
Click here to view the scheduled renovations and closures at the Disneyland Resort.
That’s it for this week’s Disneyland news. Join us every week for more!